Saturday, February 4, 2012

Healthy Again!

So last night's post was... melodramatic. Sorry about that. This morning I'm feeling much better, both physically and emotionally, so I'm going to share a few of the more positive aspects of my life so no one thinks I'm all doom and gloom and emotional turmoil. I'm actually usually a pretty upbeat person. :P


One of the big things I'm planning to do while Alex is gone to pass the time and to keep myself happy is to change my eating habits and my lifestyle. Ultimately, the goal is to lose weight: And before you say, "You don't need to lose weight!" or "You look fine!" know that I am not fishing for compliments and I DO need to lose weight. I have always secretly loved my shape. I've had problem places that I haven't been happy about, but all in all I've been pretty pleased with my curves and where I carry my weight. When I wear the right clothes, I look great. But since I quit marching band in my junior year of high school, my lifestyle has become more and more sedentary while my eating habits have become more and more... gross. Fast food, carbs, fried foods, unhealthy sauces... I love food, and I've always eaten what I love, not necessarily what is good for me. I don't eat a huge amount of food, but my nutrition has been in the tank.  All of these things combined, plus my horrible eating patterns-- nothing until at least noon, then dinner late, and usually food before bed too-- have added a little at a time, creeping the scale upward and upward through the past few years. If you don't believe me or think it isn't really that bad, I'm told a photo is worth a thousand words. Here's two:

2006 : I weighed 125 lbs
2011 : I peaked at 176 lbs
In case you suck at math, that's 50 lbs. I'll say it again... 50 POUNDS. And that's not ok with me. I've spent a long time looking at myself in the mirror only at the angles that look good. I've been wearing clothes that hide the pudge and show off the parts that still look good. But when the numbers come out and the pictures are put side-by-side, there's just no excuse. I don't have kids. I work part time. There is NO reason I should look like I do, except laziness.

My "Virginia Beach Bestie", Amanda Jessen has embarked on a lifestyle change to lose 100 lbs. Her blog, 100 lbs or Bust!, and her daily journey to eat better and exercise more has been an inspiration to me, and I know that if she can do it, I can too! I'm not planning to do weekly weigh-ins (yet), but her influence already has my refrigerator full of healthy foods instead of the junk that I used to have. Or worse, the empty shelves that had me at fast food at least four nights a week. And I'm not unrealistic. I don't expect to look like I did when I was 15, or weigh 125 lbs again. I don't even have a weight goal. I want to fit comfortably in a size 6 again. That awesome blue dress in the picture is a size 4, so I know my body can be a size 6 again, healthily.

So that's the plan! I've already signed up for a boot camp with Amanda before I head home. In 2 weeks, I'll begin a 4 week, 12 session fitness class to get me jump started. I have plans to buy a bike, and I hope my dad will go with me to the greenway near our house, or the park to ride. : ) I'll be walking my mom's dogs, and using the treadmill at her house. And I'm eating healthier already! My breakfast this morning was a light and fit yogurt topped with fruit, almonds, and a half serving of corn flakes (because I don't like milk, but I do like cereal). And it looked almost as good as it tasted!


And the part I'm looking forward to the most is getting to do it while Alex is gone. I'm going to have tons of time on my hands, and I have great motivation! I'm SO looking forward to the day he gets home from deployment and sees the girl he fell in love with when he was 16 standing on the pier waiting for him like nothing has changed. The first week he's gone, I have a shopping trip to make: I'm going out to buy the hottest red cocktail dress I can find. Something satin and sexy and perfect for a welcome-home date... in a size 6. There's already a place on the wall of my bedroom in Atlanta that has room for a peg for that dress. I'll see it every day, and that's going to be what I'm aiming for. I'm doing it for Alex, and I'm doing it for me, and I can't wait to get where I'm going!

No comments:

Post a Comment